There is a new book on the shelf, Grain Brain, by neurologist Dr. David Perlmutter. It is a must read for anyone who cares about the health of their brain. Dr. Perlmutter is a leading brain researcher and recipient of many awards for his work. In Grain Brain, he presents his findings on how carbohydrates, particularly those coming from grains, may be creating inflammation in the brain. This inflammation is now being linked to dementia, ADHD, epilepsy, anxiety, chronic headaches, depression and more. You will learn more about the latest research that shows that gluten, the protein found in wheat, is a common instigator of brain inflammation.
Gluten sensitivity also may result in digestive distress that may include bloating, gas, diarrhea and stomach pain. According to Dr. Perlmetter, studies are estimating that over 40% of Americans are gluten sensitive. Now we are learning that the other 60% who do not have a digestive reaction to gluten may still have inflammation from it which can travel to the brain. This book is not just an attack on gluten in our diets. Dr. Perlmutter gives us the latest research on what foods help with brain health including those healthy fats contained in butter, coconut and eggs.
If you want to learn more about how nutrition can help with the brain health of you employees, Nutrition Inc. offers a one-hour workshop entitled The Brain-Diet Link. In this workshop we cover the basics of diet, lifestyle and supplementation that support the health of the brain and keeps you feeling sharp and focused. We also work with employees in individual health coaching sessions to discover how simple changes in their diet can improve their brain health.
"Usually the events hosted by Nutrition Inc. are some of our highest attended programs as they offer practical and very informative workshops."
Kyle Quitter, Sr. HR Generalist
Pioneer Natural Resources
Participation in an organizational wellness program was associated with decreased absenteeism and increased job satisfaction.
- Organizational wellness programs: A meta-analysis.Parks, Kizzy M.; Steelman, Lisa A. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, Vol 13(1), Jan 2008, 58-68